Tuesday, April 9, 2013

And so Bush Training Begins

*****I'll be posting several blogs over the next couple of weeks written during our time at bush training when we had no access to Internet.  Stay tuned!  

1st Day of Bush Training:  January 26, 2013

Date of Journal Entry:  Monday January 28, 2013

It’s so hard to believe still-that we’re in Uganda-in AFRICA-on top of a mountain in the middle of nowhere-living in a hut!  I think back on my life a year ago and at what I’d be doing-sitting in a public school classroom filled with 8th graders teaching Social Studies.  At times I think-what a comfy life that was and oh how I loved it.  And even more than teaching-how I LOVED and CHERISHED working with the youth and college students at Crossbridge.  I miss them so much sometimes it hurts.  Selvin and I had such a wonderful life in America-really the American dream in a way.  Why did we leave that to come live in a hut in a dry, almost barren, hot land?  The answer although simple is really the most costly for us.  So many of the people here-even just the Karamajong people here in Lotem, have never even heard the name of Jesus before.  That should break my heart on a a daily basis and help me do away with my selfish nature.  

Oh Jesus, you know what a long way I have to come.  But You who have called me will equip me and I hear Your promise over and over again-my grace is sufficient for you.  Help me to just take one day at a time.  Give me Your strength to be thankful for the food we have-to eat for nourishment and not entertainment.  Give us wisdom with Abigail.  Give her a good appetite when meals come and help us to be patient with her.  Since we arrived in Kaabong she’s started having temper tantrums/meltdowns.  I know it’s part of how she’s dealing with the transitions (and a normal 2 1/2 behavior) but Selvin and I haven’t known what to do exactly.  Give us the discernment we need to show her grace and tough love when we need to.  

Give me a servant’s heart towards our other team members.   Give me Your eyes to see when extra help or a word of encouragement is needed-make my hands quick to help and a keep a blessing word ever on my tongue.

I thank You dear Jesus for Your beautiful reminder of sustaining faithfulness in Psalms 3.  Just as You kept David safe as Your righteous son so many years ago so shall You sustain us now.  You are my shield, my glory, the lifter of my head.  I pray tonight that when I lie down to sleep I will remember that You alone are a shield about us.  Help me not to be afraid of rats or snakes or bugs or raids.  Keep us safe in Your arms, my God!

I think my favorite time here is at night once the scorching sun has gone down, the moon is rising, and the winds are picking up as it gets cooler.  After dinner when we are just talking and enjoying each other’s fellowship-like last night when we enjoyed some hot chai.  Help me to bless You and have a grateful heart for things I might not have noticed or even appreciated before.  This experience is already proving to be the most difficult thing we’ve ever done-help me to cling to You so that You can do an amazing work in my life.

Below:  Here are some pictures of our living conditions out at bush training.  These are the cots we will be sleeping on, Abby's tent, our green metal box (the only thing we were allowed to pack with our belongings) and a picture of our hut.




No comments:

Post a Comment