Friday, August 15, 2014

Fire Will Test Our Work

I have started reading “A Chance to Die”, the missionary biography on Amy Carmichael by Elisabeth Elliott.  I’ve always been drawn to Amy Carmichael.  Only a few chapters in, I am so encouraged by what I’ve read.  Amy grew up in a loving, Christian home, surrounded by parents who taught her and her siblings fervently in the ways of the Lord.  Amy served others from a very early age and was inspired by 1 Corinthians 3:12-14 “Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw-each one’s work will become manifest, for the day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done.” 

Wow!  These words struck me to my core.  Because truth be told, there are many good things we can do for people.  But God wants us to do GREATER things for His glory.  He doesn’t want us to be caught up with things that don’t really matter-that suck our energy away and prevent us from doing the things that point others to His glory-the things that are KINGDOM MINDED and ETERNAL.   I often catch myself saying yes to too many things and then being overwhelmed and unable to really invest in the things that really matter and that have eternal significance.  

Dear Jesus, I pray You will enable us to do work in faith and obedience to you-that it may be with gold, silver and precious stones-things that are not easily come by.  Things that take time to be refined in us-in our deepest trials and circumstances.  

Help it not to be work done hastily (as with wood, hay, or straw)- in my flesh or in disobedience.  I am reminded daily of how great our task is here in South Sudan.  Many days it feels like our whole house goes up in smoke with only ashes remaining-when Selvin and I argue or fight, when the girls are having a bad day and I haven’t given them the grace needed, when little things are getting under my skin and I’ve spent all my energies worrying after them, when cultural expectations overwhelm me-whew!  

God, help me to keep my eyes so focused on you that these days become fewer and farther between; teach me how to handle them with more grace so I can reflect Your tender mercy. I cling to Your Word in Nahum 1:7 that says “The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; he knows those who take refuge in Him.”


No comments:

Post a Comment