Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Adventures of Africa


The Adventures of Africa

Written March 5, 2013 at Lotem, Uganda Bush Training

Rat hunts in the middle of the night.  Hearing foxes howling at night.  Fighting bush fires.    Teaching Karamajong and Dinka nationals how to play Candy Land.  Killing a rat with a big kitchen spoon.  Bringing a hawk down with a sling shot and enjoying fried hawk wings.  Cooking cake over a fire.  Enjoying a goat roast with all the Karamajong workers.  Africans stopping by to try and sell us a monkey to be our pet.  Fresh Cape Buffalo meat from a local friend.  Enjoying roasted peanuts and playing Skip Bo by lantern light with Africans.  Going antelope hunting down the mountain and into the valley.  And as of just a few minutes ago, Simon had to go kill a snake in the schoolhouse!  Who needs fire drills when you can have a snake drill?!  WHEW!!!

Oh the adventures we’ve had out here!  Our team at bush training has experienced so many exciting times.  They far outweigh our day-to-day struggles of just learning how to live in the bush-starting charcoal fires, the unevenness and unpredictability of cooking over an open fire, no electricity, or modern day western conveniences, washing laundry or taking bucket baths (where we never get completely clean).  


There are days here that I miss teaching.  There are even more days out here when my heart longs to return to youth and college ministry back in America.  How I miss that!  I truly do struggle these days.  I have doubts.  I knew my role there-it was very comfortable and I absolutely loved it.  Yet God has called me here and I am learning to be content.  I am learning what my new role to fulfill is here-although very slowly and stubbornly at times.  But I will trust in my God-that He who has called me here will be faithful to equip me.

No comments:

Post a Comment